The Sussex County Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Senior Services is proud to be announcing several locations for “A Matter of Balance” Program. “A Matter of Balance” is designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase activity levels among older adults. Participants learn to set realistic goals to increase activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and learn simple exercises to increase strength and balance. The program consists of eight (8) weekly sessions that are facilitated by pairs of trained volunteer coaches.
Fear of falling can be just as dangerous as falling itself. People who develop this fear often limit their activities, which can result in severe physical weakness, making the risk of falling even greater. Many older adults also experience increased isolation and depression when they limit their interactions with family and friends. “A Matter of Balance” can help people improve their quality of life, remain independent and may also help to reduce the number of unnecessary emergency room visits as well as hospitalizations.
“A Matter of Balance” coaches, will help participants view falls as controllable and help them set goals for increasing activity. Coaches will also help participants make changes to reduce fall risks at home and to demonstrate exercises to help increase strength and balance. The programs will be held this year as follows at the following locations:
* Hopatcong Senior Center, 42 Lakeside Boulevard, Hopatcong, sessions will be held on Fridays, March 3rd through April 28th, (no class on Good Friday), from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.;
* Vernon Senior Center, 21 Church Street, Vernon, on Mondays, March 6th through April 24th, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
* St. Thomas the Apostle Church, 210 Route 206 North, Sandyston, on Thursdays, April 20th through June 8th, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.;
* Lafayette Municipal Building, 33 Morris Farm Road, Lafayette, on Wednesdays, May 3rd through July 21st, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; and
* Sparta Health and Wellness Center Conference Room, 89 Sparta Avenue, Sparta, on Fridays, June 2nd through July 21st, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Light refreshments will be provided at each session. If you are interested in enrolling as a participant for any of these wonderful programs, registration is required. To register, please contact the Sussex County Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Senior Services at 973-579-0555 extension 1222 or email@example.com for additional information.