Photo: DenisTangneyJr / Getty Images
The Garden State is known for a lot of things, but there are some random and weird facts about New Jersey that you might not know. Check out these 10.
10. The first boardwalk in the world was built in New Jersey. The Atlantic City boardwalk has been around since 1870 and is one of the more popular attractions in the state.
9. The first modern commissioned submarine was launched in the Passaic River.
Photo: Nearmap / Getty Images
8. The world's first container port is located in Elizabeth. It opened on August 15, 1962.
7. Tourism is one of the biggest industries in New Jersey. It's not Cancun, but the Jersey Shore is a popular tourist attraction. The state saw over 100 million visitors in 2017 alone.
6. New Jersey has the most Superfund sites (aka toxic waste dumps) in the country. It has over 100.
Photo: Megan Maloy / Getty Images
5. The first drive-in movie theater was in Camden. The theater debuted in 1933 and mainly showed B-movies.
4. Hoboken is home to the first professional baseball game. In 1846, the New York Knickerbockers lost to the New York Nine on Elysian Field.
3. The world's tallest water tower is in Union. It's called the Union Watersphere and stands at 211 feet tall.
Photo: Robert D. Barnes / Getty Images
2. The first intercollegiate football game was played in New Brunswick. Rutgers and Princeton versed each other in 1869 where the present-day Rutgers gymnasium stands. Rutgers won 6-4.
1. New Jersey has more diners than anywhere else in the world. It's often referred to as the diner capital of the world.