For starters if you find someone you really connect with they're worth the work you have to put into the relationship. One question you might want to consider: Is being a soulmate something that is there from the start or something we become?
In addition to attraction here are 5 others things to look for.
1. You have the same sense of humor.
2. You are curious about your partners passions
3. You have the same vision for the future
4. Your on the same page about finances
5. Your core values align
6. You're comfortable being yourselves.
7. You're both willing to admit your mistakes
8. You have one or more of the 5 "Love Languages" in common
Number 8 might require explaining but it's huge. The 5 "Love Languages" are: Words of affirmation, Quality time, Physical touch, Acts of service and Receiving gifts. Giving and getting affection is most important
I think there is something to all of this. But even if a person is your soul mate you can make mistakes. Being able to forgive isn't always easy.