Over the years I think I've become somewhat of an expert on food shopping. There was a time when I was feeding a family of six. My wife and I tried every way possible to keep expenses down. Here are some things to remember about shopping at local supermarkets.
1. Take a moment to compare prices. You'll find cheaper options
2. Store hop. Sales and prices are different in each store. This is really worth it.
3. Be careful what you buy in bulk. A larger package doesn't always save you money. If you buy too much it might also get stale or freezer burned before you use all of it.
4. Take the time to get the store discount card and app. Big savings here too.
5. Have a plan. Make a list before you go in so you don't buy something on a whim. You'll also get out faster.
6. Use coupons. Even if your kids cringe when you use them. (My kids did) The savings add up.