A few months ago I adopted a cat from the local shelter. Daisey doesn't like to share me with my dog Maddie. These days it's usually one or the other in my bed. On Monday I slept late because I was off. Maddie, who usually gets up with me at 3AM, stayed next to me sleeping until 9:45. She didn't wake me up to go out or to be fed. Which tells me she's happy to stay quiet in my bed as long as I want.
Allowing a pet to sleep in your bed is an individual choice. But if you struggle getting to sleep at night it's worth a try. Here are some reasons why.
1. You will both feel more secure. A study by the Mayo Clinic backs this up.
2. Numerous studies have shown sleeping next to a pet reduces stress and anxiety.
3. A dog's rhythmic breathing helps you fall asleep faster according to Dr. Stanley Coren in Psychology Today.
4. Since sleeping by your dog reduces anxiety you'll have fewer nightmares. Sleeping by a pet is being studied as a way to help with sleep disorders and P.T.S.D.
5. Studies have shown there are many mental health benefits when you have a pet. Sleeping near each other deepens those bonds.
This is my sweet dog Maddie.