Two weeks from now I will be staying in a hotel when I visit Las Vegas for a few days. I'm sure my hotel room will look clean and smell nice but it's what I won't see and smell that makes me squeamish. According to Bustle these are the things you should do right away when you enter your hotel room. Believe me I will doing all of them.
1. Checking for bed bugs in the seams of the mattress and sheets.
2. Wiping down the surfaces with anti-bacterial wipes. Even if the look clean.
3. Remove the comforter. They don't get washed after every stay.
4. Make sure the thermostat works. I had a real life experience with this a few years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night and my room was ice cold. Then in the morning it was a sauna.
5. Wash or stay away from the glassware.
I always thoroughly read the on line reviews before I book my room too.