My Epic Quarantine Weekend In Pictures

This won't go down as one of my favorite weekends, but I did try to make the best of every situation. 10 days ago I was in contact with a coworker who has since tested positive for Covid a week ago. Out of an abundance of caution, I have been merely going to our radio station, getting the job stuff done, then going back home to my place in Vernon on Campus alone. It was scheduled to be my every other weekend with Awesome Girlfriend Megan, but we cancelled it out of an abundance of caution. I don't want to risk spreading anything to Meg or the kids. It took some work and planning, but I wanted to make it as a productive and relaxing weekend off as possible.

Friday, we had quite the epic wind storm in Sussex County. I got a pack of Sam Adams new Wicked Hazy IPA, and a Romeo Y Julietta cigar from The George Inn. Even though the wind was intense, it was still a gorgeous spring afternoon. I don't do stogeys all that often, and I'm really terrible at them. It's a struggle for me to light and keep it lit while smoking. Nevertheless, the cigars do help me relax once in a great while. It was entertaining and at times a little concerning watching the wind storm in action. I will say we are so very lucky that leaves haven't come back on trees yet. With those wind gusts nonstop, it would have been potentially devastating. In the meantime, it provided amusement for me.

For almost 7 years we have joked that my deck is basically my living room. I love relaxing out there, enjoying the mountain views and listening to nature. To be fair, once we get into mid March though my head goes on a swivel because that's when our bears come back out on Campus. Also adds to the amusement of life on my deck.

I'm very fortunate that the weather was nice for two out of three days this weekend. While my one bedroom condo is perfect for me living alone, it would get very small quickly if I had to be inside the entire time during my hybrid quarantine attempt.

Friday night I enjoyed the cigar, Sam Adams Wicked Hazy IPA, and nature. I then went inside to watch NFL Network's coverage of all the blockbuster trades that happened Friday.

I then got a small nice surprise. The Boston Celtics were on TV tipping off at 7:30. This was a huge bonus blessing for me because I was in for the night, and unsure of what to watch on a Friday night. I love watching the Boston Celtics, but don't go out of my way to go to restaurants to watch them. The Celtics aren't on TV here in Jersey all that often until the playoffs, so I was happy to get to watch them. I understand they've been driving so many of my friends and family back home in New England crazy this year. I liked watching them, even if in my opinion they took too many 3 point shots with nobody near the basket to rebound. Ah well. We won!

Saturday morning I had a mission. My mission was to get a bottle of single malt whiskey from Orange County Distillery at Brown Barn Farm, and another good cigar. I dropped off my laundry for wash and fold on Route 94, and had some minor success getting errands done. When I got back home, it was time for a project I had been procrastinating. Sweeping my deck.

I need to have a conversation with my upstairs neighbors. They have bird feeders which aren't allowed on our decks on Campus in Vernon. The bird seed continues to fall from their deck to mine. It's bad enough Awesome Girlfriend Megan and I had to sweep my deck every other week, but last Fall a Bear actually went on my deck for the first time in my 7 years here. All thanks to birdseed. My patience has honestly gone away after a year of this nonsense.

After spending almost an hour sweeping off my deck, I was then ready to reward myself with a cigar, and a glass of single malt whiskey on the rocks. I was having a great time relaxing, reading stories on my iPhone 12 Mini. The weather was fantastic.

After relaxing with a glass of whiskey and a great cigar, time for my next mission. Grilling steaks on my deck. If I had to quarantine, my goals were to at least try to do things that make me happy that I can do. I went to Sussex Meat Packing and bought two 10 ounce filet mignon steaks. Their team there is always fantastic. I was able to thank a Vietnam Veteran who works there. The gentleman who helped me warned "be sure to not overcook these, they're good ones." I immediately said back to him "oh jesus no, believe me, I always say Redder is BETTER!"

Grilling with my electric grill is much easier and quicker when it's above 50 degrees out, compared to my winter grilling adventure attempts. It took a little longer than expected because the steaks were pretty thick, but the wait was of course well worth it!

After wolfing down a nice 10 ounce filet mignon steak, I was ready to just sit on my couch in food coma mode and watch Saturday night March Madness. I'm definitely in that category of someone you couldn't pay to watch college basketball during the season, but once March Madness starts they hook me in every single time.

This year, March Madness the past two weekends has been an absolute Godsend as I've been staying in out of an abundance of caution. By the way, how exhausted are we of saying "out of an abundance of caution," right?

Sunday time to run some errands. I purchased a new towel rod for my bathroom at Home Depot in Newton. We always joke how out of my element I am at Home Depot. 7 years ago when I moved here my dear friends Laura and Rob debated giving me a Home Depot gift card for wherever I was moving to. Laura joked "I don't think Steve Allan would know what to do at Home Depot." 7 years later, she's still basically right, LOL. I was happy to quickly get the new towel rod. Hooking it up may require assistance from Awesome Girlfriend Megan.

I then did what so many do, migrate from Home Depot to Marshall's. Ah so nice. I'm much more at home in Marshall's, where I stumbled upon a polo shirt with a BEAR on it for just $15. For that price, I'll gladly pay and enjoy the comedy golf of me attempting to be one with the bears.

Sunday afternoon, I microwaved my leftover filet mignon steak. I put a damp paper towel on it, and microwaved it for 3 30 second intervals so that way it would keep the juice, and stay medium rare. It was still fantastic the next day.

I then enjoyed a mix of Jon Taffer's Bar Rescue marathon which showcased some of Jon's favorite episodes, and some more March Madness fun.

Overall, I made the best of my quarantine weekend. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my Epic Weekend In Pictures, even if this one wasn't as Epic as usual. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Time to start planning next weekend.