This is something I've always wondered about. Usually I just open up the package and smell. If it doesn't smell bad I just cook the meat really good. Nobody wants to throw away good food. Especially meat which is pretty expensive.
So here's a guide you can use for your July 4th barbecue:
1. Raw poultry lasts about 2 days in the refrigerator and about a year in the freezer.
2. Red Meat and Pork will last about 5 days in the refrigerator and 4 to 12 months in the freezer.
3. Ground beef lasts only 2 days in the refrigerator and three months in the freezer.
4. Lunch meats and hot dogs will last 2 weeks unopened in the refrigerator. Once the package is opened you have 3 to 5 days. In the freezer they last one or two months.
5. Bacon and sausage last about a week in the refrigerator and raw sausage will last 2 days. In the freezer they'll last for a month.
6. Deli salads will last 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator and should never be frozen.
Source: Fox News